Frank Kimbell wrote:
Hello,

I am trying a script (PHP) that writes files to disk.
Now, writing the files locally works file, if I have a write-to
directory owned apache:apache.
Files created are owned apache:apache by default.

But, I want to try this:
I have an NFS share that has a large amount of space. I want the files
to be written on there. So, I mount the NFS share as a directory and
chown it apache:apache. Even chmodded it 777 just to be sure.

It keeps failing when writing to it.
I get the following error:

failed to open stream: Stale NFS file handle in script.php on line 6
(line 6 contains the php-fwrite command)

I don't think this is related to PHP, but to Apache that has
permission problems writing to an NFS share.

I am using Apache 2.2 and PHP5. SELinux is OFF.

Any idea?

If you su to the apache user, can you create a new file in the same directory? If not, then the permissions will need to be fixed so the apache user has write access to that directory. If so, then apache should have no problem writing to the directory from a script. Considering the error message states "Stale NFS file handle", it sounds like something might be wrong with the NFS mount or possibly the network connection between the server machine and client machine. You can try checking the system logs on both machines (/var/log/syslog) to see if anything useful shows up in there. There might also be something in /var/log/kern.log.

--
Justin Pasher