dave selby wrote:
[...]

OK ... I did not realize that there would be competition, the CPU load
is not 100% so I don't understand why apache and firefox would be
competing ?

It is a bit difficult to tell what is really happening, which is why it may be better trying to isolate the different aspects and really finding out who is using which resources for what.

Now I'm really guessing, which is the best that can be done for now.

You browser is getting a 28 Kbyte image from the server 5 times per second. The server has to get this data, which means disk I/O, which also means CPU time. The browser is probably doing something with that data, if only updating its cache maybe. More disk I/O. So you may have one or the other process waiting for a chance to use the (same) disk, and spending CPU time on that. If the browser is displaying the images, it needs memory to do so. There may be other processes involved too (I see at least two other processes which in your second "top", are also using considerably more CPU than in the first one). If the total memory needed by your browser, plus all the other apps including Apache, exceeds the physical memory available, there will be memory swapping going on. That also costs CPU time, and extra I/O activity that itself needs more CPU time to handle it. And all these things, the way you are running them, are very inter-dependent and happen at the same time : it is precisely when your browser is having to work hardest to get the images, that your Apache also has to work harder, to deliver them. Since you have a single CPU, it means that there will have to be many more context switches from your Apache process to your browser process, and so on.
See what I mean ? No wonder you get an exponential behaviour.

The type of Apache you are using may also be playing a role. It looks as if it is a threaded version, which maybe in this particular case also has a particularly adverse behaviour.