I think you need to specify the virtual hosts.
When I was trying to proxy requests to my app server , I got the same
problem and got it fixed after modfying the VH.

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost _default_:80>
DocumentRoot "<your doc root"
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName <hostname>:80
ServerAlias localhost <hostname>
DocumentRoot "<your doc root"
DirectoryIndex index.html
RewriteRule ^/(.*) <your URL>$1 [R,NC]
ErrorLog /home/apache/logs/error.log
CustomLog /home/apache/logs/access.log combined
LogLevel debug
</VirtualHost>