On 11/17/08, Paul Doubek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Well... thanks for the input... it was the firewall after all. I had used
> the GUI to "disable" it but it must have still been running. I edited the
> /etc/sysconfig/iptables files per another article I found and bounced the
> server... still didn't work. I finally went back into the GUI Firewall admin
> tool, enabled the firewall, and told it to pass traffic for ports 80 and
> 443. Now I can hit the web server from both the SuSE and WinXP boxes. I
> guess it won't hurt to have a firewall on this machine, but since it's only
> a development server and it's sitting behind my Internet firewall I intended
> to get the Fedora firewall out of the way.
>
>  Thanks again, Morgan, for the advice.
>
>  Paul Doubek
>
>  Paul Doubek wrote:
>
> > Morgan, thanks for the quick reply... see below:
> >
> > Morgan Gangwere wrote:

> host", WinXP: Connect failed"), but telnet to Fedora's port 22 succeeds.
> > > >

> > I've looked in all the log files in /var/log/httpd. The only time I see
> any activity in those log files is if I access the Fedora web server from
> the Fedora machine (locally). It acts as if Apache is never seeing the
> traffic from the other two machines, but it appears to me that the OS is
> seeing the requests. That's what let me to look for (and find) the Fedora
> firewall running.

> complete.
> user/group apache/apache, all have 755 permissions.
> > > >

> > > Try going from the Fedora box to the SuSE box. If that works, routing is
> working one way. Make sure everything is in place and you //may// just find
> your problem.
> > >

> > I will work that direction a little more. I actually hoped that in the act
> of trying to describe the problem the solution would come to me, as seems to
> happen quite often. I agree... it behaves like a routing problem except I
> can ping and TN both directions... so it seems like it's got to be a
> Transport or Session layer thing. I've been looking for some clue that would
> indicate either httpd or the OS is trapping or rejecting the packets but I'm
> striking out.

>   "   from the digest:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

glad to hear. i was going to suggest packet sniffing on the fedora box

--
Morgan gangwere

"Space does not reflect society, it expresses it." -- Castells, M.,
Space of Flows, Space of Places: Materials for a Theory of Urbanism in
the Information Age, in The Cybercities Reader, S. Graham, Editor.
2004, Routledge: London. p. 82-93.