On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 4:40 PM, Peter Michaux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The back end server caches files in two different places and I would
> like Apache to look in those two places and only proxy if the cached
> file cannot be found. For example, a request to

Insead of ProxyPass, use mod_rewrite to poke around in the filesystem:

RewriteCond /var/cache/app/%{HTTP_HOST}/%{REQUEST_URI}  -f
RewriteRule .*  /var/cache/app/%{HTTP_HOST}/%{REQUEST_URI}  [L]

RewriteCond /var/cache/otherapp/%{HTTP_HOST}/%{REQUEST_URI}  -f
RewriteRule .*  /var/cache/otherapp/%{HTTP_HOST}/%{REQUEST_URI}  [L]

# couldn't find the file in either dir
RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://localhost:3000/$1 [P]

Or, let Apache cache things instead of writing them to disk, and it
would be more transparent.

(Note that you need to put the rewrite stuff in per-vhost context,
otherwise it won't work as-is. You also probably want to handle
directories if that makes sense for your app (-d))

--
Eric Covener
[EMAIL PROTECTED]