Why do you think using request headers would not work?

From: Tamer Embaby [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2008 1:39 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [EMAIL PROTECTED] RE: Clearing cache selectively on Apache + mod_cache

Karim,

I'm afraid you have to do that programmatically.  We've done that in a
project before with Apache 2.0 by knowing how Apache encodes
URL for storing in internal cache directories, read it from:
modules/cache_util.c:
          cache_hash(...)

Which is controlled using:
      CacheDirLevels XX
      CacheDirLength YY
Apache directives.

I believe you will write your own code that hashes the target URL like
Apache does, and delete that file from the cache, call that code
whenever you need to content is updated.

And I don't think that would change for 2.2.X Apache, the addition of
"htcacheclean" doesn't help in your case either.

P.S. Look for Hossam Karim if you need the Java code, he is the one
who did that.

Regards,
Tamer