Well, Hi!

I'm developing a Free Web Hosting Site. And I'm stuck, so pleease help, if
you can and if you want! :)

Every user will have the feature to add one or more subdomains to his
account. For example, if the site is called: thehost.com, a user might want
to create two subdomains: sub1 and sub2. So, he should be able to use the
File Manager to manage his created subdomains and see the results at
sub1.thehost.com and sub2.thehost.com. Now, in my File System I would like
to structure the directories in the following way:

users/Superman/sub1/
users/Superman/sub2/

Where Superman is our username (He added the two subdomains noted above).

The problem: How to do this? I've read much about the htaccess files and I
found several solutions:

Solution 1: To Write a perl program, which connects to the database, and
selects path for a given virtualhost. The RewriteMap of the htaccess will
execute the perl program and for the subdomain sub1, it will SELECT vpath
FROM vhosts WHERE vname = "sub1". It will return: users/Superman/sub1/. The
htaccess will substitute and everything works fine.
Now, I don't like this, because if everytime we access sub1.thehost.com, we
make a select query, the mysql server (yes, i'm using mysql) will die in
pain for sure.

Solution 2: Don't give the users feature to add subdomains, but when a user
is created, we created a subdomain called superman.thehost.com. Now, this
will work fine, because we only need the 'superman' subdomain name to find
out where is our 'superman' subdomain path. This solution I would not like
to use.

Please, If you know how to deal with this problem, tell me. I've pointed out
two solutions, but if you know a third one....better one, please let me now.

Thank you in advance...