On 23.12.08 16:16, Davide Bianchi wrote:
> Well, by definition, the first 'vhost' for port 80 is the default for
> port 80 (http) and the first one for port 443 is the default for https.

the _default_ and the default virtualhost are in my understanding two
different things...

> > <VirtualHost _default_:80>
> >     ServerName www.mondomaine.org
> >     DocumentRoot /www/www.mondomaine.org
> > </VirtualHost>

this, the _default_ is the virtual host that applies on any IP thas has no
vrtual hosts defined.

> > <VirtualHost *:443>
> >     ServerName sitehttps.mondomaine.org
> >     DocumentRoot /www/sitehttps.mondomaine.org
> >     [...]
> > </VirtualHost>

The default virtual host is the first name-based virtual host on defined IP.
This virtual host applies on ANY virtual IP.

> > Everything is ok !!!
> > But, if I add :
> > <VirtualHost _default_:443>
> >     DocumentRoot /www/site2https.mondomaine.org
> >     [...]
> > </VirtualHost>

> > I have this error :
> > Restarting web server: apache2[Tue Dec 23 15:59:49 2008] [warn]
> > _default_ VirtualHost overlap on port 443, the first has precedence ...

Ies, the _default_ will not match, because differetn virtual host was
defined on all other IP's.

> The problem with HTTPS is that the server won't be able to know which
> one is the one requested before decoding the request, for which he needs
> a certificate, so he ALWAY picks the first vhost for 443. That means
> that your 'default' https vhost HAVE TO BE the first one.

This has nothing to do with certificates, This is just