The UTF-8 equivalent for あいうえお (URI resource part) is
%E3%81%82%E3%81%84%E3%81%86%E3%81%88%E3%81%8A. I use
http://hpcgi1.nifty.com/glass/url/url_encode.cgi to verify the same.

And to add-on to this, found
http://osdir.com/ml/apache.devel/2002-03/msg00117.html URL which in brief
mentions the following info,

 "Because of the lack of proper support for non-ASCII characters in file
names, it is recommended that administrators not attempt to use any
non-ASCII characters in file names. Any other configuration is
unsupported.

Apache 2.0 introduces the UTF-8 convention to access any filenames and
resources in a predictable and safe manner. The implementation of this
feature is too extensive to consider backporting to Apache 1.3."
Does it means that non-ASCII characters in file names are not supported in
Apache-1.3 ?

Could you please confirm on this as well.

Thanks and regards,
Sathya