I've been unable to google up the answer to this, so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

The CGI standard (RFC 3875, 6.3.3) allows a CGI script to output an HTTP status code header (e.g. 'Status: 404 Not Found'). A response body is optional.

My CGI program outputs just this status header in certain situations, with no body, and I would like Apache to serve the configured ErrorDocument when this happens. It is relaying the HTTP status correctly, but at the moment it seems to serve the CGI response's body, whether or not there is one, rather than falling through to error handling. In other words, I see an empty response, rather than the usual Apache 404 page.

Is there a simple way to change this behaviour?

2.0.53 is what I've been developing with, if that's relevant.