Hi List,

probably quite a basic question, but where does perl get its PATH variable from when executig shell commands?

My problem is running Tr.pm which is part of the open source tool smokeping, it does some nice things with traceroute. The weird problem I have is that I have the same version of smokeping and Rt.pm on two different servers and on one I have been getting the error "traceroute no such file or directory" and on the other it works fine. The commands are being called through apache httpd 2.2.9 whcih is running as www which has no homedir, and the /etc/profile is the same on both servers there are no /etc/bash files. What else can be different between them? I can get the error to go away by putting traceroute in /usr/bin, but Id like to know why the perl code is fine on one server and not on the other.

This is my third attempt to work this one out :P I already asked on the FreeBSD forums and PERL forums and so far everyone has been stumped. So its gona be something obvious, or perhaps something odd like a compiled in PATH in httpd possibly?? :S

thanks for any suggestions! Andy.