So you're saying that the server caches a value which it (itself)
generates?  I guess if this is true, then there is nothing for
mod_proxy (SSL) to cache when it is in the role of the client to the
back-end server...?

Also, not sure what you mean about "long lived connections in a pool".
 Last I knew, back-end persistent connections over SSL did not work
correctly in Apache 2.2.x.

JB