We have successfully configured our system to load balance across
multiple servers. We started out with:

Users  --> HTTPS --> Apache --> HTTP --> Glassfish

This worked well, until we tried one of our scenarios where we
Post/Redirect/Get (PRG). This worked exactly as it was supposed to,
the url was exactly correct except the protocol was sending back HTTP
instead of HTTPS as expected. HTTP is blocked on the Glassfish servers
so the traffic was not getting through. To fix the problem we did
this:

Users  --> HTTPS --> Apache --> HTTPS --> Glassfish

This solves the issue but the performance is degraded and
configuration is more complicated. Is it possible to not use HTTPS
between Apache and Glassfish?

Is this a Glassfish issue or an Apache config issue? Is there
something obvious that I am missing?

Carl