On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 18:01 +1000, Steve Dalton wrote:
> I managed to do something similar in the end, using the prefix user_
> for each user directory then adding .htaccess to root dir of:
>
> AuthType Basic
> AuthName "Restricted Files"
> AuthUserFile /var/www/passwd/htpasswd
> Require valid-user
>
> RewriteEngine on
> RewriteCond $1 !^user_
> RewriteCond %{REMOTE_USER} ^([a-z0-9_]+)$
> RewriteRule (.*) /var/www/accesstest/user_%1/$1 [
>
> The only problem with this is that any user could access other users
> directories... so I then had to add an additional .htaccess of
>
> require user spidie
>
> to the user_spidie directory... etc etc.

If you put the rewrite rules in the main server configuration rather
than an htaccess file, you don't have to worry about them being run
multiple times, so you can drop the user_ prefix and condition.  You
don't need to condition on %{REMOTE_USER} either because rewrite rules
don't run until after the user gains authorization.  The rule I gave
earlier (updated for your directory name) should just work:

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /var/www/accesstest/%{REMOTE_USER}/$1

--
Matt