Carlos Alarcón wrote:
Thanks a lot for the full explanation.
You are totally right that it is my application the one that should keep consistency with the URL's it offers and the files they are mapped into. Actually this is my hole problem. It is supposed to be a service creation environment for web applications (accessible via web) where user decides the URLs he's going to uses for his pages using the browser, so depending on browser setup he might have it would drives to different URLs (imagine a browser using utf-8 and other using iso-8859).

We will keep thinking on our best solution to this problem.

Hola Carlos.

The tips below are not foolproof, just a series of individual measures that you can take to avoid more problems than necessary.

- on your systems filesystem, decide once and for all to encode your filenames as UTF-8 (at least everything under your web document root). - set your system's default locale to a UTF-8 locale, so that you do not inadvertently create a file using the iso-8859 encoding.
Also make sure you set the user's locale that way.
- make sure that your webserver is set to use UTF-8 as the default charset (for responses) - create all your pages using a UTF-8 aware editor, and save them in the UTF-8 encoding.
- add a proper
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=UTF-8"> to all html pages
- in your <form> tags, specify if possible :
<form ....  enctype="multipart/form-data" accept-charset="UTF-8">
(ref : http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#form-data-set)
- in your forms, add a hidden field containing some string known to your application, containing some characters (like n tilde which I cannot type on this German keyboard) that will cause the string to be a different "character length" when read as bytes (like iso-8859) or as UTF-8 characters. Have your application check that string's length when it receives the form's result, to make sure the string was sent as UTF-8. Like :
<input type="hidden" name="check-charset" value="áéöüäíß">
which is 14 bytes, but only 7 Unicode characters.
- make sure your application expects all input to be Unicode/UTF-8, and if a check of the previous field does not give a correct length, send an error page back to the user telling them to get another browser.

Y buena suerte.