I'm trying to get our Apache web server to detect and redirect incoming
requests from BlackBerry PDAs to a version of the site designed for tiny
screens.  The URL for the PDA site is identical to the main site, but
with "/pda" appended.

Our httpd.conf file contains:

    # Redirects to accomodate PDA's and other tiny screens...
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} "BlackBerry" [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.saddlebrook\.com$ [NC]
    RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://www.saddlebrook.com/pda [L,R]

This successfully detects BlackBerrys trying to access
"www.saddlebrook.com" and successfully changes the URL to
"http://www.saddlebrook.com/pda"; as I expected.

But when the redirected browser runs through the rules again, the regexp
"^www\.saddlebrook\.com$" is also matching the new URL
"http://www.saddlebrook.com/pda";.  So it redirects endlessly.

Why is regexp "^www\.saddlebrook\.com$" matching
http://www.saddlebrook.com/pda"; and how can I make this work correctly?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Ken