Jake Garfield wrote:

[...]

I have this in the document root .htaccess:
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from All
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Access"
AuthUserFile /blah/blah
Require user blah
Satisfy any

and this in the directory of that file

<Files blah.php>
        Allow from all
Satisfy any </Files>

Is there any particular reason why you use a .htaccess file in the root directory, rather than specifying this directly in a <Location> or <Directory> section in the server configuration ?

Doing it in a .htaccess is not only less efficient, but it introduces additional complication, in the sense that the server only "gets there" after resolving the location to the real place on disk, evaluating any other access conditions to that location and directory etc..
then when everything is done, it goes to that directory, and finds
a .htaccess file there. "Oh shoot, now I must re-evaluate everything". See what I mean ?