I have Apache2 up and running on my web server. My main goal is to
have a link on my index.html that links to my company Intranet.
Obviously I don't want everyone to be able to publicly browse my
Intranet so I am looking for a authentication method. I was advised to
use .htpasswd on Apache however I really have no idea where to begin.

DocumentRoot /var/www/html/ext/main

You can see the file structure below:

[r...@web ~]# cd /var/www/html/
[r...@web html]# ls -l
total 16
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Feb 10 14:19 ext
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 19 16:38 int

My question is how to I have an authentication process using .htpasswd
if someone wants to access anything inside /var/www/html/int/*?

I have never done this before so I apologise in advance.

--
Carlos Williams
Linux System Administrator