On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:28 AM, David Vaughan
<david.vaug...@satemail.com> wrote:

> As the local offices are international I was reluctant to employ SSL
> technology
> because of the associated import/export restrictions.  Also, I'm not
> sure why you
> emphasise not to use Apache.

While apache can be used as a general web proxy it is not the best
suited program for this.

I'd look in to squid. You can install squid on all your local office,
and configure it to use the central office as a "parent" cache. Squid
has several options for authentication, and it is possible to have
your "child" proxies authenticate themselves when accessing the
"parent" proxy.

Krist

--
krist.vanbes...@gmail.com