I run a crontab job that collects the 'top' output every 5 minutes.
Twice in the last 6 months httpd has spawned as many clients
as it can, consuming all memory.  For months it uses 14-20 clients
then, suddenly, explodes to creating 50 to 100 - whatever the
value of MaxClients.  The logs that record accesses don't show
an increase in accesses or errors - indeed they show a decrease.
I see no unusual behavior in any logs.

We run CentOS Linux 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5 #1 SMP Tue Dec 16 12:03:43 EST
2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Server version: Apache/2.2.3
Server built:   Nov 12 2008 10:41:27

Restarting stops the explosion of clients and all returns to as it was.
The first time it happened I searched for causes, marked it as a
quirk, but it happened again yesterday.

Thanks for your attention.

russell bell