On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 14:43 +0200, m...@bortal.de wrote:
>> Hello List,
>>
>> is there a way to build or code or make  a custom HTTP Auth? The plain
>> htaccess one looks ugly and has not all the features that i want.
>>
>> Are there any alternatives?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mario
>>

> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/auth.html
>
> HTH
>
> Tom

The way the auth looks is determined by your browser. The Apache
server just tells the browser that a certain kind of auth is required,
and the browser does what ever it's programmer's told it to do to
satisfy that auth (e.g., presenting the user with a dialog box). If
you want pretty auth, your best bet is to implement it in your server
side scripting, but this is non-trivial if you want it to actually be
secure. Not that it's impractical to do, but there is more that needs
to go into it than a lot of web site designers seems to think.
Specifically, making sure a person's password is not visible in the
network traffic is key, and also making sure that the same submitted
login tokens are not valid more than once (even if encrypted, Mallory
can just resubmit the same encrypted values to hack in as a different
user). The most secure auth is always done over SSL.

-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://pgp.mit.edu/