At 09:57 AM 4/28/2009, you wrote:
Not certain what gives. Apache install was flawless on Red Hat Linux box; and Apache starts ok. My problem is I can't get the index.html page to display from my desktop.

I can ping the box fm desktop.

tracert 111.111.111.111 // returns correct path from desktop.

telnet localhost 80   // from server connects ok.

telnet to 111.111.111.111 80 // from desktop give me a connection failed message.

I turned off iptables on the Linux box.

The network guys say path to box fm my desktop is open.

Does anyone knows what else to check?

Doesn't sound like an Apache issue, but a few suggestions:

Try running Apache on a different port.

Try running Netcat - on the 'server', run
nc -l -p 80
(without Apache running).
On the workstation / desktop, try
ls | nc 111.111.111.111 80

You should on the server see the output of ls from the workstation.