I am unable to configure Apache to connect to my local site.

Apache is installed as a personal web server on a notebook computer that uses
the Windows Vista operating system.

The Apache installation works, as evidenced by the "It works" index page shown
upon using the "http://localhost"; URL.

I have configured the configuration file, httpd, trying to serve up an index of
my web sites stored in the My Website folder, which is in the  "c:\users\user"
folder.

Here are the configuration statements I believe are relevant:

 ServerRoot "C:/Apache Software Foundation/Apache.2"

 Listen 80

 User daemon
 Group daemon

 ServerName localhost:80

 DocumentRoot "C:/users/user/my website/"

 <Directory "C:/users/user/my website/">

      Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
      AllowOverride None
      Order allow,deny
      Allow from all

 </Directory>

Use of the localhost URL continues to show only the "It works" index page.

I've tried every adjustment of configuration of which I can conceive.

Where am I going wrong?