Chris Nagele wrote:
We run a service that handles tens of thousands of virtual hosts
across a bunch of servers. We recently ran in to a problem where one
customer was hitting a server, with over 7000 connection attempts in a
3 - 4 hour period.

The way it is setup now, each customer has its own virtual host in
Apache. We shard Apache instances across many servers to handle load
and reduce restart times. Is there an easy way to limit the number of
connections for each virtual host? Or maybe even per IP? We want to
avoid the situation above in the future.

Check out mod_limitipconn. You can limit globally or per virtual host (whether the "IP address pool" it tracks is virtual host specific, I'm, not sure).

http://www.dominia.org/djao/limitipconn.html

--
Justin Pasher