The good news is: it works again, see http://www.undermyhat.org/wordpress/?p=19 for the first part of this nightmare in prose ;-)

The bad news is, I don't know why it works. It was clearly NOT a bug in Apache, so no blame or fame there, but I'm sure you all knew that already. The path of fixing went through a whole series of system cleanup and only with the event of applying ComboFix (not to be used lightly, and only when you are having trouble and some knowledgeable or authorized expert asks you to use it) it resolved the problem. Though there were no hidden processes or worms found on my system, it is likely to assume that there was a serious conflict and this somehow affected Apache (and, occasionally other processes).

I wished I really new what caused it, now this thread has to be closed in oblivion and I'm afraid that anybody reading the archive can only be given this one advice: it is an unlikely error, so do a full system scan, to the bottom.

Thanks to you all for helping. To William, about your last questions: UAC was off, I tried -t but it only says "syntax OK". When I reinstalled, I removed the full directory and checked the registry for left-overs and removed them to if there were any.

Cheers and thanks!
-- Abel --

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
Abel Braaksma wrote:
What can I still do? Is there someone around that can help me setup
Visual Studio to run Apache from the IDE and to step through the source?

Did bin\httpd.exe -t tell you anything?

Please note that uninstalling apache leaves logs/ and conf/ (as you might
have noticed) and installing apache does not wipe out conf/ - so you have
to blast the directory if you want to ensure that this has nothing to do
with your own conf/ changes.

You might also note that fresh confs are always installed under the
conf/original/ tree, which you can always use to replace broken confs.

And finally, UAC can make your user-edits to files within program files/
or windows/ appear to exist, but the true file remains unmodified.  You
might want to turn off UAC to avoid such nonsense.  It even applies to
the administrator user.