Hi,

I'm using 2.2.11 on rhel 5. I'm doing apache disk caching of a couple of
my tomcat apps, and apache memory caching for my static web files.
I now have started doing compression of said files and webapps (which
all fall under a javascript content type).
Problem is, apache is now creating a .vary cache file/dir for what seems
like every single request, which is just negating the caching
altogether.
I'm seeing this message in the error log, which I suspect is the cause.
        [Tue May 19 11:19:28 2009] [debug] cache_storage.c(257):
cache_select_url(): Vary header mismatch.
I'm not setting the Vary header for User-Agent, and even when I'm not,
it's still setting the Vary: Accept-Encoding header.
Even if I set the env. of force-no-vary on these cached urls, I still
get the error and see .vary cache dirs created, which I don't quite
understand (I can confirm NOT  seeing the Vary: header in the HTTP
response)

Any advice is appreciated.

-Tony
Manager, IT Operations