I've seen apps installed in sbin, and /home/username when from my
perspective, they should have been in bin.  While I haven't used a lot
of different distros (slackware, RH (prior to their business model
change), and commercial Unix distros by att, sun, dec, HP), I've never
run into 'sudo'...I can understand the security argument for this, but
don't necessarily agree with the approach. Anyway. its more of a 'Why
do they do this' as a general question as opposed to a specific
configuration.
Guess I should take this question to the Debian forum....