> k...@redshift.com wrote:
>> I installed Apache as a service as normal, then tried to run it.  It
>> ran...but it won't read the httpd.conf file.  Even changing the
>> service to call httpd.exe -k runservice -f (path to conf file) *does
>> not work*.  I can only run httpd manually, from the command prompt,
>> with the -f parameter, and get it to read the conf file.
>>
>> Why???
>
> Not enough info for anyone to give you an answer.  Some thoughts; don't
> mess with the HKLM\Services key ever, always use httpd.exe -k config.

httpd.exe -k config output:

C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\bin>httpd.exe -k config
Reconfiguring the Apache2.2 service
The Apache2.2 service is successfully installed.
Testing httpd.conf....
Errors reported here must be corrected before the service can be started.

But no errors are output, and nothing shows up in the error log or the
application event log either.

> Another
> thought - using UAC?  If you don't understand how it can hide file
> changes and keep them private to your login, disable it.  You changed
> the run-as user of the httpd service?  Perhaps it doesn't have write
> access to the logs directory.  Perhaps you broke permissions on the
> volume for the SYSTEM (aka LocalSystem) account?  It needs list and
> read directory permission all the way from the root to all of the files
> it uses or serves.

1) I disabled UAC.  Doesn't help (although I much prefer a lot fewer
warning dialogs!)
2) Didn't change the run-as user of httpd.  It HAS write access to the log
file, because when I try to access a file in my browser when running httpd
as a service, I get this in the log file:

[Wed May 27 17:30:04 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist:
C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs/test.html

In httpd.conf, I have the document root pointing to a different folder, so
that's how I know it's not reading httpd.conf.

>> FYI, nothing shows up in the error log to explain this.  Also,
>> apparently the registry key pointing to the proper path IS set
>> (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Apache Software Foundation\Apache\2.2.11 ServerRoot)
>> but isn't being used.
>
> Note early startup errors are recorded to the Application Event Log.

Nothing in there either.

Heeeelp...

Damon