You got me going in a good general direction -- the real solution is
slightly different. Here's what I found.

In the parameters section of the ProxyPass directive, there is a
parameter called retry.  It defaults to 60 seconds.  The description
is such:

"Connection pool worker retry timeout in seconds. If the connection
pool worker to the backend server is in the error state, Apache will
not forward any requests to that server until the timeout expires.
This enables to shut down the backend server for maintenance, and
bring it back online later. A value of 0 means always retry workers in
an error state with no timeout."

I changed it to 0 on my dev server, retested, and it works
beautifully.  Once I bring Tomcat back up, Apache recovers right away.
 This is the behavior I wanted.

Thanks for the help!  Problem solved.

Jenny Brown

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 2:31 PM, André Warnier<a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
> Jenny Brown wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 3:06 AM, André Warnier<a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> So, to get back to the original issue : if indeed the observed behaviour
>>> derives from such a timeout on the part of mod_proxy, I would suggest to
>>> do
>>> some thinking about whether it is not better, in a general sense, to
>>> leave
>>> things as they are, at least if this is a system destined to be deployed
>>> in
>>> production. After all, I am sure that if the developers of mod_proxy