Good day everyone,

i am in desperate need for your help with a problem tunneling a custom
tcp protocol through a chain of apache servers configured as proxies.

The necessary setup looks like this:
Client -> [Apache 2.2 Reverse Proxy] -> [Apache 2.2 Forward Proxy] ->
Server
and unfortunately it can't be changed.

Client and Server a talking a custom protocol. To tunnel through the
proxies the Client sends a HTTP CONNECT request to the first proxy
(according to the INTERNET-DRAFT "Tunneling TCP based protocols through
Web proxy servers" by Ari Luotonen). The proxy is then supposed to
digest this HTTP CONNECT HEADER from the wire and create a tcp tunnel
between the Client and the Server. Client and Server then can talk their
custom protocol.

In the following setups this approach works flawlessly:
* Client -> [Apache 2.2 Forward Proxy] -> Server
* Client -> [Apache 2.0 Forward Proxy] -> Server
* Client -> [Apache 2.0 Reverse Proxy] -> Server

Unfortunately it does not work for Apache 2.2 reverse proxies:
* Client -> [Apache 2.2 Reverse Proxy] -> Server
* Client -> [Apache 2.2 Reverse Proxy] -> [Apache 2.2 Forward Proxy] ->
Server

How do i have to configure the proxies so that the CONNECT request
actually creates a tunnel?

My current configurations are the following:

Reverse Proxy:
Listen 9006
NameVirtualHost *:9006
<VirtualHost *:9006>
 AllowCONNECT 9008
 ProxyPass / http://forwardproxyhost:9007
 ProxyRemote * http://forwardproxyhost:9007
</VirtualHost>

Forward Proxy:
Listen 9007
NameVirtualHost *:9007
<VirtualHost *:9007>
 AllowCONNECT 9008
 ProxyRequests On
</VirtualHost>

The HTTP CONNECT request header looks like this:
CONNECT serverhost:9008 HTTP/1.1
Host: serverhost:9008
Connection: Keep-Alive

With the above setup the reverse proxy alters the request header and
sends the following to the forward proxy:
CONNECT http://serverhost:9008/ HTTP/1.1
Host: serverhost:9008
Connection: Keep-Alive

...and then the chained forward proxy responds with the following:
HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request