On Jun 21, 2009, at 5:26 AM, Pierre Labrecque wrote:

I have to install a web server to run several wikis on it. These wikis will be in use for around 150 to 200 users (Technical Support wikis for a Help Desk). This web server must be always on, fast, etc… I have read some comments on the web that said that it’s a “heresy” to run Apache on a Windows 2003 system. But as I’m not familiar with Linux (my knowledge

This is not a religion: you should run on whatever you can best operate and maintain.

about it is equal to zero), I would like to know if for my needs it’s OK to run the web server on a Windows 2003 system. I

Bless you my child, you have been absolved. Apache runs fine on Windows, you will even find pre-built binaries of the latest Apache release on the apache.org download site.

want a fast server, but as this is just for 150-200 users (this is not a Google web site!), may I expect honest performance and stability? What I will install is: Windows 2003, latest Apache, PHP, MySQl and Mediawiki packages. Nothing else.

Same for PHP and MySQL, you can find Windows downloads for both. This would work well if you want to set up a LAMP (or WAMP) based web application on a platform you know and can support.

Of course, if you want to learn about Linux, setting up an internal web site would make for an interesting project to learn on the job.

S.

--
Sander Temme
scte...@apache.org