Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
I have some environment variables I want to provide in a file.
For example, in bash the file would contain:

   export var1="a b c"
   export var2="1 2 3"

I would like to "include" or "source" this file in my
html.config, so var1 and var2 will be available to
mod_rewrite as environment variables.
How can I do this?

I am not sure you can do this exactly, but you may want to have a look at this page :
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/programs/httpd.html
and check the -c, -C and -D options.
Maybe you can use -Dsomething and then in your httpd.conf configuration file, use a
<IfDefine something>
</IfDefine>
?

Oh, wait.  Apparently you can use

%{ENV:variable}, where variable can be any environment variable, is also available. This is looked-up via internal Apache structures and (if not found there) via getenv() from the Apache server process.

 in a RewriteCond directive.
See : http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_rewrite.html#rewritecond

I would really look at the on-line documentation for RewriteCond, RewriteRule, and SetEnvIf, and see if you can try some stuff based on the above.