----- Original Message ----

> I'm embedding Gallery2 in PmWiki, and trying to get rewrite rules to work...

Ok, I think I understand what's going on (after installing a local copy of
apache, etc to let me push up the debug levels...I didn't know httpd could
crash so easily!):

>      RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} /Main/Gallery/([^?]+)(\?.|\ .)
>      RewriteRule .   /Main/Gallery?g2_path=%1   [QSA,L]

So, after this, /Main/Gallery/test1/ gets mapped to
/Main/Gallery?g2_path=test1/, then (as per the fine print in the 'last rule'
section of the mod_rewrite documentation), "the RewriteRule generates an
internal redirect (which frequently occurs when rewriting in a per-directory
context), this will reinject the request and will cause processing to be
repeated starting from the first RewriteRule."

So, /Main/Gallery gets re-injected (hmm...) and matches /Main/Gallery/ again.
And again.  And Again.

What's the proper way to avoid this?

Is adding another RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} !/Main/Gallery the canonical way
to go?  Or is there some way to turn off the re-injection?

Thanks,

--Peter Kay