On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 22:37:53 +0200, André Warnier wrote:

[...]
> What are you really trying to do ?
> Can you give a real example ?
>

> If you want to use the values of shell-level environment variables, then
> presumably you set these environment variables somewhere, before you
> invoke the script which starts Apache. If you want to modify these
> values, you thus have to edit some script. Then why do you not just edit
> httpd.conf ? Or, use "Include" to include another file in httpd.conf at
> startup, and modify the content of that other file before you restart
> Apache.

There is not yet a real example.
The environment variable (which could be a file), of which
there are several, will contain a list of (directory) names.
Each list will correspond to one of several RewriteRules that
will generate a reverse proxy to the location where those
directories are stored.  (I have it working with a single
location, and now I am trying to expand to several.) The lists
of directories (which could be environment variables or files)
will be generated by the complex script that loads the web
site from source information.

One possibility is to have the created file contain a
series of RewriteConds, one for each directory name.
I then might include it just above the appropriate
RewriteRule.  Is this possible?  I am not familiar with
include in http.conf.  How would it look?  If this would
work, it certainly seems like the long way.

It would be nice of version RewriteCond could just call a
shell script that would return a bool.  The rest would
be trivial.

Thanks again for your help.
Mike.