Chintan Kachhi wrote:
Hello,
I just installed apache http server version 2.2 on my local machine. I
copied a sample hello world perl script under the cgi-bin directory of the
Apache installation folder and named it first.pl. When I put
http://hostnamein the web browser url, it shows that the server is
installed, since it
displays the message, '*It works!'. *However when I try to run the script
typing the following in the browser: http://hostname/cgi-bin/first.pl , it
gives me the error: 500 Internal Server ErrorInternal Server Error

to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, ad...@hostname and inform them of
the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have
caused the error.

So, have you done that ?
;-)
(*)

Looking through the error log, it shows me the following message : [Wed Jul
01 13:33:18 2009] [error] [client 10.184.226.251] (OS 3)The system cannot
find the path specified.  : couldn't create child process: 720003: first.pl
[Wed Jul 01 13:33:18 2009] [error] [client 10.184.226.251] (OS 3)The system
cannot find the path specified.  : couldn't spawn child process: C:/Apache
Software Foundation/Apache2.2/cgi-bin/first.pl

Aha, so it is Windows !

 Is there something that I am missing or doing wrong?

What you did above was correct, but maybe you are missing this part :

1) did you install perl on that machine ?
If not, download and install from here :
http://www.activestate.com/activeperl/
2) if/when you installed perl, make sure that the first line of your script looks like :
#!c:/perl/bin/perl.exe
(or wherever perl.exe is)

then try again.

And welcome to the world of Apache + perl.  It's fun. Really, you'll see.

(*) you can change that address in the Apache configuration file. Look for "ServerAdmin".