I checked mod_jk today, but unfortunately it doesn't contain any management
interface (like e.g. balancer-manager), so I decided to patch the
mod_proxy_balancer module to add a starvation feature.
I mainly added a new status (PROXY_WORKER_STARVATION) which can be chosen
from balancer-manager (as a third option beside Enabled/Disabled).
The routing logic is completely unchanged, but when chosing a worker for a
stateless request (w/o routing information) only  workers without
PROXY_WORKER_STARVATION bit set are considered.
This is done by simple comparison in the find_best_byxxx methods.

Effectively, workers can be put in starvation mode, i.e. :
  - they will not recevice any requests lacking of routing information
  - requests with explicit routing towards them still get delivered
In our scenario, this is quite useful for a planned shutdown of single
instances.
Most of our sessions are idling out after some time, so you minimize the number
of frustrated customers.

This seems to work fine for us and I wonder if this might be interesting for
the community.
If yes, how to submit a patch?

Cheers
Jürgen