So it's not possible to serve one file with two different Content-Types,
and you think that is as it should be?

Did you read the part about why XHTML should be served to some clients as
text/html, and others as application/xhtml+xml?

application/xhtml+xml is the correct Content-Type for xhtml.  So it should
be sent with that Content-Type.  But XHTML 1.0 was created to be compatible
with existing browsers that didn't understand XML, so they should be served
the same file, with the different Content-Type of text/html.

On 07/17, Andr? Warnier wrote:
> No, if a client asks for the URL "/abc/file.html", it wants the resource
> corresponding to that URL.

Right.  And in this case, regardless of which Content-Type the client
wants that resource in, it's the same file.

>> Except I can't figure out how to provide multiple Content-Types for a
>> single file.
>
> Logical, because you can't.  One document/file has only one MIME type,
> not several.

Why not?

> Unless you mean what is described here :
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/content-negotiation.html
> (Read it, don't just guess how it works)

I read it before posting.

>>    AddType "application/xhtml+xml,text/html; qs=0.01" .html
>
> What makes you think that you can do that ?

I tried it because it should work, not because I believed documentation
said it would.

>> Tells the client "Content-Type: application/xhtml+xml,text/html; qs=0.01",
>> which is no good.
>
> No, and it's even invalid.

That's what I meant by "which is no good".

> I believe you are a bit confused.
> Your typemap file has the same mistake.

If what you said above is correct, I am not confused.  I want to do
something Apache is currently incapable of.

Lack of support for this capability is lack of support for XHTML.