It sounds to me like you are hosting their sites... meaning you have
virtual hosts, etc.?

If I go to my bank and open a checking account... fine... it's "free".
However, if I want a safe deposit box, I'll have to pay... unless...
maybe if I keep X amount of money deposit accounts with the bank...

Then why not just pass the cost of obtaining legitimate certs onto those
customers, unless they're a big money customer... then what do you care
the cost?   Wouldn't that solve all of your problems?