> > > elements (text, images,
> coming at about
> > > the same time, but
> elements
> > > from the given data set.

> are
> > > presented to a user is dependent
> vary from
> > > user to user. Other
> set,
> > > there is nothing that
> requests can be
> > > treated as such, ie

> scenario
> > > so that the each
> store or db
> > > for each user

> in-memory
> > > and depending on
> configuration and
> > > then come to the
> user and
> > > serve the user?

> > > http://www.danga.com/memcached/
> > >
> > > You dont mention what language/mechanism you want
> to pull
> > > the data out;
> > > memcached has client libraries for almost every
> language
> > > under the sun,
> > > so it should be appropriate.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > Tom
> >
> > Hi Tom,
> >
> > I am using LAMP and additionally a regular ext3 file
> store
> > and an ldap. Most of the data is in mysql and in file
> store
> > and it is this I would like to cache and serve via php
> pages.
> >
> > I will checkout memcached. Thanks for the pointer. Is
> there
> > anything native to apache itself?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> No, but that is almost certainly by design. Caching works
> best the more
> you can scale it. Anything inside apache would be
> per-process, or at
> best, per-machine. Using memcached allows you to scale out
> your cache to
> support many backend machines.
>
> The best way to use memcached is to avoid DB queries. You
> can either
> cache your objects, so you don't need to do DB queries to
> load them, or
> cache the resultant html you would draw from the objects,
> so you don't
> even need the objects.
>
> If you can cache entire pages, apache has mod_cache and its
> various sub types.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom

As I have stated before, I have common data element set,
but the individual user request needs to be serviced
by dynamically generating the html page using some of
the date elements from the common set. I could not
possibly cache html pages as they vary from user to
user and even requests from the same user changes from
request to request.

Much of the data is in multi-media form on the file store
and this is what I would like to have cached and accessed
without having to goto disk for each request. In addition
there is some data in mysql tables and which needs to be
updated.

I would like to cache the file store which is read-only,
but I am hesitant to cache mysql data as much of it is
dynamic and needs several updates with each request.

Thanks