I seem to have a permission problem with apache. I am running FC9 and
apache 2.2.11, mod_perl 2.0.4 and perl/V5.10.0. I am trying to work with
apache/perl/mason/mySQL but continually encounter permission failures.
Apache runs under user/group apache/apache (specified in the httpd.conf
file and verified using the ps command). The document root
is /var/www/html, which is owned by root (I don't understand this, I
would think it would be apache/apache). My cgi-bin directory
(/var/www/cgi-bin) was owned by root/root at first. I entered the env.pl
script from example 1-5, pg 10 in the Practical mod-perl book. I saved
the file to /var/www/cgi-bin, changed owner to apache, chmod 700,
re-started apache and tried to access http://localhost/cgi-bin/env.pl
and failed with a permission error. I changed the cgi-bin directory to
apache/apache (user/group) and the env.pl script also. I re-started
apache. It still fails with a permission error. I suspect that if I
changed the env.pl file to root/root then it would work, but I don't
want to do that. I have had several other errors similar to this that I
have worked around, but would really like to understand this permission
thing and get it fixed once and for all.

My system does have a user apache/apache, but there isn't a home
directory.

How do most people configure a development server? I try to avoid using
the root login for security reasons. However, all of the apache files
are owned by root, so I maintain private versions of them and use sudo
to copy changes back to the appropriate directory. I haven't figured out
how to handle perl scripts that I enter.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Chuck Crisler