Hi all folks!

Its my first message to the mailing list, so excuse me if Im posting on
wrong place. I have worked with Apache since 4 years ago, almost always with
version 2.X. So I have a little experience with this great web Server.

Lately, Im introducing NAS tecnologies with free software like Openfiler to
reduce the load of local hard drives. My last experiment is:

One NAS running on IP A

One VPS (Centos 5.3 under Virtuozzo Linux) with Apache running on IP B

VPS has a mapped folder to NAS (IP B) and Apache is configure to work with
this mapped folder called /data. The performance is good until now but I
have a very big doubt about mod_deflate and mod_expires. Maybe Im totally
wrong about that and I apologize, but I think that, mod_deflate and
mod_expire don’t running when data is not “local”. I do some Basic test:

-          one .htaccess on DocumentRoot with rules about deflate and
expires

-          directly on Virtual host configuration

No one with success. When I run Yslow Firefox Plugin, it don’t detects
compression or expire. So the only difference with this experiment
(NAS+Apache) and the other host of my net (Apache+Local Drives) is NAS.
Maybe is NAS the cause of my problem? Or is not related?

Thanks to all!

Rubén Ortiz

More info:

Apache version: Server version: Apache/2.2.3 Server built:   Jul 14 2009
06:02:39

SO: Centos 5.3