Tosh Cooey wrote:
Maybe I'll bug the author of the module now.

I just had a quick look at AuthCookieDBI, which subclasses AuthCookie.
In AuthCookie->authenticate(), there is indeed a check for sub-requests, returning always OK in that case. In other words, I don't think that Apache subrequests, per se, are the cause of the problem.
But maybe it is the fact that you are using this in a .htaccess file.
Try setting
PerlSetVar AuthCookieDebug 3
in your .htaccess file.
Then try again, and look at the server error log.