Hi,

I am running Apache 2.2.9 on Debian 5.0.3.  Everything seems to work
nicely, but I'm worried about this quote from "Issues Regarding DNS
and Apache" in the 2.0 documentation:

"The addition of name-based virtual host support in Apache 1.1
requires Apache to know the IP address(es) of the host that httpd is
running on. To get this address it uses either the global ServerName
(if present) or calls the C function gethostname (which should return
the same as typing "hostname" at the command prompt). Then it performs
a DNS lookup on this address. At present there is no way to avoid this
lookup."

This seems to imply that, even though I have set up Apache to serve
all requests via vhosts, I shouldn't choose a bogus "main" ServerName,
since it will perform a reverse-DNS to find my IP address?  What would
it even do with that single IP address; the virtual hosts listen on
several interfaces...  Of course, I want to pick a bogus name to
suppress the warning:

"apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified
domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName"

(Of course, my system hostname (in /etc/hostname) is not fully qualified.)

Thanks, kindly.

-- Ned Ruggeri