Hi,

this is my first post here :-)

basically I have google'd this issue a bit and finally realized that there was no viable solution that I could deduce results from!

I have a few servers running apache and some folders which have .htaccess files in them, I can access these from any network inside the NAT of my router however when it comes down to external access from outside the NAT I always get permission denied; authorized access only??

My systems are behind a reverse proxy handled by Squid but also after Google'ing found that Squid doesn't care about .htaccess and doesn't even know what it is.

Another page I read claimed that it could be an issue of IPS protection system in the firewall - however iptables doesn't contain any config only default and isn't even running I think only in conjunction with fail2ban to prevent DoS attacks. My router, a Cisco 857W, also doesn't have IPS at all and IDS isn't enabled.

Can anyone help me find a solution to this situation?? I have checked the logs for httpd/access_log and error_log only to find nothing mentioned about denying anything.....

Any recommendations are appreciated! Thanks

An example of one config file which is the config from Munin is here:

[code]
ScriptAlias /munin/cgi/ /var/www/munin/cgi/
#<Directory /var/www/munin/cgi/>
#   Options ExecCGI
#   SSLRequireSSL
#   order deny,allow
#   deny from all
#   AuthType Basic
#   AuthUserFile /site/cfg/passwd
#   AuthGroupFile /site/cfg/group
#   AuthName "munin"
#   require group munin
#   Satisfy Any
#</Directory>
#
Alias /munin/ /var/www/munin/
<Directory /var/www/munin/>
  Options None
#   SSLRequireSSL
  order deny,allow
  deny from all
  AuthType Basic
#   AuthUserFile /site/cfg/passwd
AuthUserFile /var/http-passwords
#   AuthGroupFile /site/cfg/group
#AuthGroupFile /var/http-group
#   AuthName "munin"
AuthName "Restricted Files"
#   require group munin
Require user admin
  Satisfy Any
</Directory>
[/code]

I followed the .htaccess example from the apache.org website and have a single file where password/username is stored for multiple pages.....

Kaya