Hi All

Got an interesting problem which has occurred several times now..

Painting a brief picture ;

Several applications running on Tomcat 6.0.19 (64-bit) - several cluster
groups

Backend SQL Server 2005 clustered DBs (several)

Front end Apache Web servers (2.2.9 with mod_jk 1.2.19), load balanced
via secure network appliance

Basically, we have an issue with one of the DB clusters which stops
servicing requests from the app servers

The app servers can continue to connect to remaining DB clusters OK.

The problem is that all the web servers stop responding to external
requests.  Looking at the ports in use on each server, there are a
number of established sessions between Apache and Tomcat, which seems
OK.  All of the web servers also have exactly 30 close-wait sessions
with the secure network appliance.  We think this is what is stopping
any requests from being services by the web servers.  However, even
trying to browse locally on each server to the root just times out.

We do not enforce keepalive or timeouts for TCP/HTTP, and we use
practically all the defaults for these directives.  All web servers are
configures identically.

I can't find any reference to a directive that may limit connections to
30.

Restarting the web servers allows users to get to applications using the
good databases.  We have already upgraded one of the load balanced web
servers to Apache 2.2.14 with mod_jk 1.2.28, and we intend to do the
rest of the next few days.  Going through the changelogs there are one
or two items that might have a bearing on the issue but nothing obvious.

Does anybody have any advice on this?

Cheers,

Darren.

Connaught plc is a FTSE 250 company. We are the UK's leading provider of
integrated services operating in the compliance, social housing and public
sector markets.

Please visit our website to see a full list of Connaught's Registered Companies
www.connaught.plc.uk/group/aboutconnaught/registeredcompanies

Disclaimer:
it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact
the sender and delete this message. Connaught plc, Head Office 01392 444546