I have Apache 2.2.8 installed on a machine running openSuse.

I have set up mixed name-based and ip-based virtual hosting.

Listen.conf
Listen *:80
Listen *:443

default-server.conf
NameVirtualHost aaa.xxx.yyy.zzz:80
ServerName localhost
DocumentRoot and <Directory> have been removed.

A name-based virtual host config

<VirtualHost aaa.xxx.yyy.zzz:80> (same ip as namevirtualhost directive)
    ServerName www.digestive-medicine.com
    ServerAlias digestive-medicine.com
    DocumentRoot "/usr/local/tomcat/webapps5/ROOT"
    ErrorLog "/var/log/apache2/digestive.com-error_log"
    CustomLog "/var/log/apache2/digestive-access_log" combined
    HostnameLookups Off
    UseCanonicalName Off
    ServerSignature On

    <Directory /usr/local/tomcat/webapps5/ROOT>
        Options -Indexes +FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride All
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

When I try to access this site (for example), the browser gets an
"Access Denied" 403 error and the error.log says " client denied by
server configuration: /srv/www/htdocs/".  This is the compiled path
which I interpret to mean that the virtualhost directory is not being
seen or read and no path is given in default-server config.
Permissions are okay because, as user "nobody" I can move the the
directory specified in virtualhost or the one ending in htdocs and
read files there.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Bob