A completely different idea to solve my actual problem:

Someone else suggested to just take out the conversions all together.
I mean, I am converting right back into the encoding I converted from. I
have been assured that no link uses a character above the first 128 (7 bit
ASCII). As far as I know there are no HTML control characters outside of 7
bit ASCII either.
So shouldn't the parser just be able to parse the ISO-8859-1 document as if
it was utf-8? Yeah, I know it sounds horrible, but as far as I can tell it
should not actually break...

As author of the module:
Could this work?
What would I have to change in the code to keep any input conversion from
happening?
(I will play around abit myself, but I am not familiar with the code, nor
with Apache module logic. And its been quite a few years since I last coded
C...)

At the very least this would tell us (if it works) whether or not the
conversions are to blame for the problems I experience.

Martin