On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 1:36 PM, vara prasad <vprasad.pendy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi  All,
> I have set up a reverse proxy www.example.com for an internal tomcat server
> http://internal:8080
> Few files are hosted on  http://internal:8080.
> My requirement is when user downloads a file from http://internal:8080 using
> the proxy, the proxy should cache the file with its original extension. A
> .pdf file downloaded from  http://internal:8080 should be available in the
> reverse proxy's cache as a .pdf file.  Can any one help to get to it?
> Thanks in advance.

What kind of reverse proxy did you set up? Using Apache and mod_proxy,
or some other software, like Squid? If you're using mod_proxy with
Apache, I don't think caching is done automatically, you'll want to
look at mod_cache: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_cache.html

For other software, dedicated caching proxies (again, like Squid)
usually keep their cache is a more complex way then you seem to be
expecting. For instance, the cache may be stored partially in RAM and
partially on disk, or in a database. At any rate, cahce entries are
not generally stored in any kind of user-friendly way where you can
just browse to the cache directory and look for *.pdf files. They're
typically stored based on some sort of hashing mechanism so they can
be quickly recovered.

-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://keys.gnupg.net