> Hello, don't know if this works or if you tried it already but here are some
> Environment Variables which could help.
> proxy-sendchunks or proxy-sendchunked or maybe proxy-initial-not-pooled.
> I changed the keep-alive timeout on the backend to the timeout of the
> frontend apache to minimize the "502 Bad Gateway" error.

Hi, thanks for your thoughts Michael. In fact, I have tried proxy-sendchunked.
It seems to cause Apache to spool the POST data as it is being received - and
that's great. Unfortunately the app can't handle chunked encoding, so that
option is out. I've also tried proxy-initial-not-pooled,
force-proxy-request-1.0, proxy-nokeepalive, and some others without any
noticeable effect. Maybe I just haven't stumbled across the correct
combination, though I am starting to suspect there is none.

I can understand what you are saying regarding the Keep-Alive timeout value.
However the timeout threshold we are reaching is being imposed by the OS (Linux
in this case), not by Apache. I know this because while the TCP connection with
the app server is waiting for the POST data to be received, the app server is
sending multiple SYN-ACKs in an attempt to get something from the webserver.
There is an TCP kernel parameter you can adjust (sysctl -w
net.ipv4.tcp_synack_retries=5) which controls how many TCP SYN-ACKs that will
be sent during these conditions. And if I bump this number up, it causes the OS
to keep the idle TCP connection open longer and the POST completes successfully.

But...that's just a workaround in my opinion. What I really want is for Apache
to wait until it receives all of the POST data before it opens the TCP
connection to the app server.