On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Mike Cardwell
<apache-us...@lists.grepular.com> wrote:

>>> Both the server and the client would need to be updated in order to take
>>> advantage of it. If one or both don't support it, then the fallback would
>>> be
>>> normal HTTP.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Cardwell - IT Consultant and LAMP developer
>>> Cardwell IT Ltd. (UK Reg'd Company #06920226) http://cardwellit.com/
>>> Technical Blog: https://secure.grepular.com/blog/
>>
>> [clip]
>>
>> Yes, SPDY is a new protocol which will require both the server and
>> client to support in order for it to work. However, from a user
>> perspective, I believe the goal is for it to be transparent. In other
>> words, if your browser and the web server it's talking to both support
>> SPDY, they will figure that out and use it. If either of them don't
>> support it, they'll just use plain old HTTP. Either way, you won't see
>> the difference as a user other than the potential speed benefits.
>>
>> Just to be clear, SPDY is far from being a new web-standard. Right
>> now, it's just a research project Google is undertaking: I think it's
>> going to be quite a while (a year at minimum) before any one (other
>> than Google, at least) thinks seriously about deploying it. But that's
>> just my $0.02.
>
> I agree with the above. I started this thread to make people aware of it's
> existance and to provoke discussion on the matter. However, if someone were
> to take up the reigns and begin developing an Apache module for it using the
> open source code and specs Google has published, I think the project has a
> more serious chance of succeeding. I also think that an Apache with SPDY
> support available before the spec is finalised would be in a stronger
> position to influence how the protocol evolves during it's development.

I understand your point, but I personally think it's too early in the
life of the spec to pull it from the sandbox. Putting it to actual use
in the wild before it's had a chance to mature at all will just cause
compatibility issues if and when the spec changes (which is likely
when it's such a young and relatively isolated thing, meaning it
hasn't had anybody from IETF or W3C or much of anybody else whack on
it at all).

> I also wonder if a transition like this to a new protocol could/should be
> taken advantage of to get rid of the one SSL cert per IP:port limitation we
> currently suffer from? Although the transition to ipv6 will get rid of this
> problem (lack of ip addresses) anyway without having to do any further work.

I really don't see how they're related. I think removing this
limitation is crucial if we're going to try to move towards a web that
requires SSL (as SPDY is currently slated for, I believe), but it
doesn't have anything to do with HTTP or SPDY, it's a limitation of
SSL itself. The SNI extension to SSL resolves the issue by essentially
allowing the equivalent of an HTTP Host: header to be included in the
SSL handshake. This is already supported in most modern web browsers,
and in Apache 2.2.12, I believe.

Cheers,
-Brian

> --
> Mike Cardwell - IT Consultant and LAMP developer
> Cardwell IT Ltd. (UK Reg'd Company #06920226) http://cardwellit.com/
> Technical Blog: https://secure.grepular.com/blog/
[snip]

Key Id: 0x3AA70848